Ministerish highlights of the year:
- Organized second annual Midwest Discordian Ministry Assembly (third one is this month, not that you'd know from all the planning I haven't done.)
- Performed my third wedding ceremony, this time for my dear friends Mark & Eva in June
- Wrote an excellent application for a Unitarian Universalist seminary; got rejected, but that's okay, the gods that matter obviously want me to stay right where I am and I didn't much like San Francisco anyway
- Made many new friends at the Unitarian Universalist church, especially through Rev. Axel's twice-monthly Bible Study
- Conducted my first ever Sunday service at the Channing-Murray Foundation in October, conducted a second service later that winter, which lead to...
- Leading a twice-monthly spirituality group at C-M called "Building Our Own Religion", which lead to...
- Became a member of the Board of Governors at C-M
- And finally, just two Sundays ago, gave my first ever sermon from a pulpit at the Unitarian Universalist church...
...which has lead to much accolade from the local liberal religious scene and a sudden upswing in demand for my services. It's honestly overwhelming. I'm a lazy guy, I like doing one thing at a time and slacking off a lot between things, and now suddenly I've got half a dozen requests sitting in my email box from people who are interested in my services or who want me to attend or lead their services. I'm glad I spent much of the last year learning how to be a bit more organized about things, because right now I can barely stay afloat. I just hope I can seize these opportunities while they last.
The grad school rejection was slightly disheartening, given that I put about two months of effort and one cross-country trip into applying, but the five months since then have been so jam-packed that I barely think on it anymore. To think I almost spent three years and thirty thousand dollars to have a bunch of hippy ministers teach me how to do the hippy ministry I currently find myself immersed in! (I'm not bitter!)
Anyway, I don't mean to be cocky about all this. I'm just saying, things are going extraordinarily, surprisingly well for me this anniversary. Growing up and growing into my ministry continues to involve a lot of learning about my own limits and weaknesses, but I'm still plenty satisfied with what I've achieved so far. And so, even though I didn't make it off to wizard school like the rulebook says I should, the DM in my head is still letting me level up once again this year. Who knows what the future will hold, but it's been a great game so far.
Upcoming events include being a guest speaker at the Stone Soup supper at the Green St. Unitarian Universalist church this Sunday from 5:30-7:30pm, my ongoing spirituality group 1st & 3rd Tuesdays of the month at 7:30pm at the Channing-Murray, the third annual Midwest Discordian Ministry Assembly over Memorial Day weekend, and way out in October I'll presiding at the wedding of my friends Scott & Dawn. There's bound to be lots more events coming soon, so keep an eye out, maybe I'll actually remember to post about them here!
Peace & Slack!
3rd Level Cleric (Chaotic-Good)